Nutritional Well-Being Throughout Addiction Treatment
When active addiction takes over, we often find that our bodies become malnourished of vital nutrients and minerals. Chemicals in the brain become altered, and we find ourselves either avoiding food altogether – or eating a lot of foods that really add no nutritional value to our bodies. In addition to the harmful effects that substance abuse can have on our bodies, nutrition is another major reason why many who struggle with addiction experience severe weight loss, dental concerns, aging appearance, and other hygienic issues. Recovery is a period of healing and restoration of the mind, body and spirit, which means that nutrition will take center stage alongside other elements of treatment.
When we focus on nutrition, we explore ways that we can develop a more balanced diet in effort to prevent and reduce diseases, conditions, and other problems that can arise from poor diet and other dietary concerns. As Medical News Today describes, there are 7 main types of nutrients that our bodies need for optimal functioning:
· Protein – which includes several types of amino acids
· Carbohydrates – starch is preferred over glucose, fructose, or galactose because it’s much easier to break down in the body
· Fats – the right fats can help our organs produce hormones, absorb certain vitamins, and preserve overall brain health
· Vitamins – vitamins can help improve specific functions of the body, which can greatly help those in recovery
· Minerals – potassium, chloride, sodium, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, zinc, iron, manganese, copper and more are just some of the vital minerals our bodies need
· Fiber – apples, pears, bananas, oranges, vegetables and more all produce great sources of fiber
· Water – addiction often causes us to be dehydrated as our brain becomes “hijacked” to make substances a top priority; water takes up 70% of the human body, and it requires a lot of water to function optimally
If you’re ready to begin your journey towards restoration of the mind, body and spirit, speak with a professional from a reputable treatment center today.
The mission of The Beach House is to provide success in the recovery process and elevate the standard of comprehensive addiction treatment. Located right on the coast of Malibu, California, expert clinical care and a holistic view of the recovery process is provided to ensure Best-in-Class treatment tailored to the needs of each client. If you’re ready to start your recovery journey today, call us at 310-924-0780.
Saving Lives; Healing Families.