What Are Some Tips for the First Few Months of Recovery?
Many experts believe that the first thirty, or even the first ninety days of addiction recovery are extremely important. Most relapses occur within the first ninety days of recovery, so it’s vital to have a strong foundation for continued success and recovery. During the first few months in recovery, you are probably either in a treatment facility or are have recently transitioned from a treatment facility back to daily life. Either way, the first days are often the most difficult, as you’re just starting to get used to life without your substance of choice. Navigating daily life in this new way can often feel overwhelming. However, there are some tips and tools to help you during these intense months and the rewards are worth the work.
- Stick to a schedule. This is vital during the first few months of recovery. If you’re in a treatment facility, there might be an external structure. However, if you’re transitioning back to home life, it’s important to create a daily schedule and stick to it, as this will support your recovery process.
- Be consistent with 12-step meetings or other group meetings/therapy. This is a wonderful way to help you stay on track during recovery.
- Practice self-care. Take time to engage in healthy habits like proper sleep, exercise, nutrition, and meditation. Caring for yourself is a way to feel positive and self-aware during these first few months.
- Continue going to therapy or other interventions that you began in treatment. Recovery is an ongoing process and keeping up with the healthy therapeutic modes that you began while you were in treatment is important during this transition and beyond.
- Practice gratitude. Feeling gratitude for how far you’ve come and taking time to dwell on the positive aspects of life will keep your spirits up and keep you feeling present, which will positively impact your recovery.
- Avoid making major life changes during this time. You’ve already been through a lot and have come a long way. It’s best not to add any extra stressors to your life, even if they’re positive, unless absolutely necessary. Keeping your life as simple as possible for the first year of recovery will bolster your success and decrease overall stress.
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, help is available. At The Beach House, we elevate the standard of comprehensive addiction treatment. Located on the sand in Malibu, California, we provide expert clinical care and a holistic approach to the recovery process. We ensure Best-in-Class treatment tailored to the needs of each client. Start your recovery journey today. You deserve happiness. Call or text: 310-862-6845.