5 Key Characteristics of Individualized Treatment That Are So Important for Recovery
Some could say that addiction recovery and treatment programs are all the same; in the grand scheme of it all, the underlying motivation beneath addiction recovery is change. While there is some truth to this, the reality is that treatment centers vary greatly between one another. What one treatment center offers, another may disregard. The reality is that addiction recovery is quite an individualized process. Each person’s story is unique, with wants and needs that differ from others. Research has shown that this individualized process is what truly yields the most effective outcomes – and that’s because treatment is being tailored to seemingly minor components that add up over time to make a huge difference.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) emphasizes a number of factors that should be taken into consideration with individualized treatment: age, race, culture, sexual orientation, gender, pregnancy, parenting, housing, and employment, as well as trauma history. In 2015, a Senior Researcher in Amsterdam published a discussion piece in the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine that discussed the importance of personalization in addiction recovery healthcare. The following were some key characteristics mentioned, and it’s safe to say that these do indeed have a significant effect on an individuals’ recovery:
· Dual diagnosis capabilities: Integration of addiction and mental health services
· Holistic Approach: Consideration of not just a person’s biological determination when it comes to addiction, but also psychological, social, cultural and other factors that could take part in their addiction and recovery journey
· Personalized Medicine: to suit that individual’s needs and also what works best for their mind and body
· Comprehensive Assessments: to really get a clear understanding of what a person needs based on their history
· Evidence-based Strategies: to ensure that treatment is moving forward in the safest and most effective way possible
Many other studies have provided this growing evidence of characteristics that really contribute to a person’s recovery outcomes. If you’re currently searching for a reputable treatment center, be sure to select on that provides enough resources and support to really help you move through your journey to recovery.
The mission of The Beach House is to provide success in the recovery process and elevate the standard of comprehensive addiction treatment. Located right on the coast of Malibu, California, expert clinical care and a holistic view of the recovery process is provided to ensure Best-in-Class treatment tailored to the needs of each client. To start your recovery journey today, call us at 310-924-0780.