3 Challenges of Sober Living and Ways to Overcome Them
Recovery is a lifelong journey, and there will be some points in your sobriety that are filled with confidence, strength and purpose – just as there will be moments when you feel uncertain of the path paved in front of you. Just as life has ups and downs, so will recovery. Part of the process of healing and restoration is finding healthy ways to work through the obstacles that present themselves to you – and if you can do that, you will become even stronger along the way. Arnold Schwarzenegger once stated, “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
Here are 5 challenges you may come across in sober living, as well as some ways to overcome them:
1. After-Work Meetings
· Challenge: In 2017, a writer shared her story with The Fix about facing work meetings as her coworkers would drink. She stated that as her coworkers ordered alcoholic beverages, she felt “naked” as the only non-drinker.
· Solution: Embrace who you are. Learn to love yourself and feel confident in making decisions that are best for you and your mental, physical and spiritual health.
· Challenge: You may have friends, family, or even children who expect that you’ll never abuse substances again. Sometimes these high expectations can make us feel pressured and anxious, especially if we’re afraid to fail in meeting these expectations.
· Solution: Ground yourself by remembering that you’re only human. You can take each day, one step at a time, but you cannot predict the future nor can you change the past.
3. Bad Emotional Days
· Challenge: A few years ago, The Scientific American highlighted the fact that not only does physical sobriety occur, but emotional sobriety does, too. Bad emotional days may still come around, and it can be hard to work through painful thoughts and emotions.
· Solution: Breathe. Give yourself time to recognize that it’s all part of the journey. Use the tools you’ve learned in therapy and reach out to your support network.
Bad days in recovery are inevitable, but that doesn’t mean you can’t work through them. Stay strong and don’t give up – the path to healing and restoration is right around the corner.
The mission of The Beach House is to provide success in the recovery process and elevate the standard of comprehensive addiction treatment. Located right on the coast of Malibu, California, expert clinical care and a holistic view of the recovery process is provided to ensure Best-in-Class treatment tailored to the needs of each client. If you’re ready to start your recovery journey today, call us at 310-924-0780.
Saving Lives; Healing Families.